Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Utah Arts Festival

I'm big on festivals, and I love the festivals in Salt Lake City. As a parent, I find it a great opportunity to expose my child to new sights and sounds, and sometimes even food.

This year I've taken the Little Princess to the Japan Festival, the Live Green Festival and the Living Traditions Festival. Tomorrow the Utah Arts Festival opens.

I'm taking some time off of work to Trax the Little Princess down during a weekday when (hopefully) the kids' art yard will be a little less chaotic and we won't have to fight for a spot at the art tables to do a project. The Little Princess loves making art and spends a lot more time than other kids do on their projects. Each time she starts to color at one of the kids' art yards at the various festival, I make a resolution to not rush her through and I do well for the first 25 to 30 minutes. But then I start getting antsy and try to rush her along -- and even with my urging it still may take her an additional 20 minutes to finish. I hope I can be more patient this time.

I also love to take the Little Princess to see performing art, and this is a great value (kids under 12 are free and adults can get in for $5 if they come during the lunch time special on Thurs. and Fri. from noon to 3 p.m.). I hope to see some modern dance again this year as well as musical and street art performances of all kinds.

The festival is easily accessible by Trax (Library Square) to save money and the hassle of parking. More info on the Utah Arts Festival at http://www.uaf.org/



Little Princess and Dad at the Living Traditions Festival

No comments: