Monday, June 23, 2008

An Introduction

I have two daughters: child #1 is 13 years old and hereafter will be referred to as "The Teen." Child #2 is 4 years old and will hereafter be known as "Little Princess".

Parenting is challenging, and seems to be getting more and more challenging all the time. And to add to that, I want to parent in ways that I haven't seen a model for -- I want to do things differently.

Where you live can really have an effect on how you parent and what opportunities are available for kids. While many families in Utah move out to the suburbs, I like living close to downtown Salt Lake City. I believe living in the city gives parents and kids many experiences they wouldn't have in the 'burbs, including having a walkable community, access to numerous cultural events and festivals, and (in the case of SLC) sustainable ways of doing so many things.

I'd like to write about my experiences, both the successes and the things that don't work so well. I'm not an expert. I'm not even sure if I'm a very good mom. But maybe I can contribute something that might be of value to other parents looking for a different way to do things.

No comments: